Re: Issues around sponsoring individual documents

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Fri, 07 September 2007 20:21 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Subject: Re: Issues around sponsoring individual documents
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:20:53 -0700
To: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>

Didn't mean to name names publicly!  But as long as I am, I might as
well characterize the ISs.

Some are being run practically as if they are WG documents, with
commentary on active WG or post-WG lists.  James' and John's are in
that category, as well as the IMAP i18n/collation docs.
One is likely to become the standard extensibility discovery
mechanism for a WG standard -- James'.
Some are revising very widely used standards.  John's and Dave's are
in that category.
Nearly half are URI scheme registrations, which must be IETF
Consensus documents in order for the IANA registration to be
allowed.  Others register a single mail header, VCard property
(Cullen's) or MIME type.
A few are effectively from outside organizations including Odette,
ISO, GSM, 3GPP and XMPP.
One is attempting to describe requirements for future work, rather
than define an implementable standard -- Sam's.

Three ID authors requesting sponsoring have been fellow ADs (Sam,
Cullen, Chris).
Nine primary authors were people I've never met.
Eight primary authors were people I have met at IETF meetings or
elsewhere.

IMO, most are good causes.  Most are good quality.  YMMV.

Lisa