PP2: Application Area Advice on use of Web and XML; energy conservation

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Mon, 07 January 2008 22:28 UTC

To: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Subject: PP2: Application Area Advice on use of Web and XML; energy conservation
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:27:59 -0800

PP2

Position Paper

Yoshifumi Atarashi (atarashi@alaxala.net)
Hiroyasu Kimura (h-kimura@alaxala.com)
         ALAXLA Networks Corp.

We are netconf system developers and contributors of netconf/NGO in
the OPS area. Now, OPS area people want to make new Network
Manegement System protocol suites based on XML. These include SNMP,
MIB and SMI. A few years ago, when netconf wg started, we wanted to
use application technologies supporting XML. It was the main reason
for the XML choice. But almost OPS area people couldn't use Web
service technology. Now they are making an original protocol using
only XML format. But we are thinking netconf system using Web service
implementations. So we suggest some isses about collaboration APP
area and other area.

Problem of using application technology in other areas:
  - don't understand how to use Web technology/XML technology
  - don't understand application system overview and direction/
architecture of new network services systems

The evolution of application services is faster than network services
and operations. So we can accelerate low layer network system
development by using application technology.  And also by using the
same technology, we can think of new services involving application
and network cooperation. For example, applications demanding QoS,
security system using network control from application, on-demand
filtering system and so on. For such occations, we have to study
application technologies and  their implementation techniques with
some concept and architecture.

Therefore we think that APP area people can write infomational RFC
for collaboration with other areas.
- How to use and implement web technology/XML technology systems
(http, soap, apache, axis, etc.)
- How to make XML base protocols and implementations  (If needed,
think extension of soap/http/XML base protocol for realtime mechanism. )
- New generation Internet architecture (IPv6, security, QoS ...) from
the APP area viewpoint.

We think these items contribute towards the "Wild Success" of APP
area's works.

In addition, as network products engineers, we consider the effect of
application protocols on energy conservation. We think application
protocols behavior are very important for router and switch's energy
saving.  Routers and switches often decrease performance or sleep for
short times for energy manegement, if it is implemented in network
products.  So some application protocols may come under the influence
of packet drop or delay.  If needed, we have to think up application
protocol extensions for energy conservation.