Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call

Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> Thu, 17 May 2007 15:58 UTC

From: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
Subject: Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:25:56 -0700
To: "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive@demon.net>

On May 15, 2007, at 1:10 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Tony Hansen said:
>>> I share your concerns about removing rules that are already in
>>> use --
>>> that would generally be a bad thing.  However I'm interested in the
>>> consensus around whether a warning or a deprecation statement
>>> would be a
>>> good thing.
>>
>> LWSP has a valid meaning and use, and its being misapplied somewhere
>> doesn't make that meaning and usage invalid. I could see a note being
>> added. However, anything more than that is totally inappropriate.
>
> +1
>
> Frank's text in
> <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg46048.html>
> would be fine:
>
>   Authors intending to use the LWSP (linear white space) construct
>   should note that it allows apparently empty lines consisting only
>   of trailing white space, semantically different from really empty
>   lines.  Some text editors and other tools are known to remove any
>   trailing white space silently, and therefore the use of LWSP in
>   syntax is not recommended.
>
> However, it doesn't belong in "security considerations".

Discarding of lines is likely in response to some type of exploit.
The consideration for not using LWSP would be in regard with how
security requirements may create incompatibilities.  This is the
correct section.

> What about moving LSWP, and this text, to a separate section of
> Annex B:
> "B.3 Deprecated constructs"?

Agreed. That would also be appropriate.

Another problem regarding LWSP is in regard to _many_ differing
definitions.  A profusion of differing definitions alone becomes a
valid reason to deprecate the mnemonic.  This definition represents a
poor practice as related to security which should not be facilitated
through standardization.  By removing this problematic construct,
better solutions are more likely to be found.  At least (ab)use of
the mnemonic will have been discouraged.  Any continued use of this
mnemonic should be discouraged and the note added should clarify one
of the reasons for this mnemonic being deprecated is specifically due
to its varied and checkered meanings in other drafts.

-Doug