Re: File metadata format draft

Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com> Tue, 13 November 2007 10:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:16:56 +0200
From: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com>
To: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Subject: Re: File metadata format draft
Cc: "Matuszewski Marcin (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki)" <marcin.matuszewski@nokia.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org

At the moment the integration with the WebDAV properties is not done. I
believe this is a topic for discussion. I have here more questions than
answers. For example:

Do we want to propose a single data format for describing file metadata?
The WebDAV properties is already standardized and deployed, whereas the
file-data-format draft is not. However, the requirements of both
applications are not totally the same. For example, the file data format
does not care about the creator, but needs to signal different endpoints
(instances) that host the same file.

Or can we integrate the WebDAV properties into the file data format?
This will effectively create a superset of the WebDAV properties, bt I
am not sure it will have a footprint on the implementations, due to the
advance state of deployment of WebDAV.

Or do we want to continue with two separate paths, perhaps with this
mapping that you mentioned?

BR,

   Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Espoo, Finland