RE: Reigistry for tv:URI's

"Keesmaat, N.W. \(Iko\)" <iko.keesmaat@tno.nl> Wed, 04 October 2006 20:13 UTC

Subject: RE: Reigistry for tv:URI's
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:37:22 +0200
From: "Keesmaat, N.W. (Iko)" <iko.keesmaat@tno.nl>
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org

Mark,

I tried looking up the owner of nbc.com (using various web-based whois
service), but I could not find details. The website www.nbc.com points
at the NBC TV channel/broadcast.  I suspect that GE owns NBC?

In our view the tv:URI should identify a TV broadcast.

Looking at the TV broadcast known in the USA as NBC (via the website
http://www.nbc.com), then we can see that it has four different
schedules: E (Eastern), C (Central), M (Mountain), and P (Pacific).
These four TV broadcasts can be seen as four different ones, so we may
need the following tv:URIs:

* eastern.nbc.com
* central.nbc.com
* mountain.nbc.com
* pacific.nbc.com

On the other hand according to the website of the company 'owning' NBC,
NBC Universal, there are 10 TV stations transmitting NBC: WNBC (NBC4 New
York), KNBC (NBC4 Los Angeles), WMAQ (NBC5 Chicago), etc. So we may also
need the following tv:URIs:

* wnbc.nbc.com
* knbc.nbc.com
* wmaq.nbc.com
etc.

The tv:URI registry that we need here will contain the list of available
tv:URIs, i.e. eastern.nbc.com, wnbc.nbc.com, etc. and to each tv:URI in
the list information is associated identifying the TV broadcast.

For instance:

tv:eastern.nbc.com => "The eastern schedule of the NBC TV broadcast in
the USA, website reference http://www.nbc.com"
tv:wnbc.nbc.com => "The TV broadcast transmitted by the TV station WNBC
(NBC4 New York) of NBC Universal, website reference
http://www.nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Universal/Company_Overview/overview02.sh
tml"

Regarding the involvement of the company NBC or the company GE in the
tv:URIs mentioned above:
* if they get involved in specifying the information associated to the
tv:URIs mentioned, they are very welcome.
* if they do not want to get involved in specifying the information
associated to the tv:URIs mentioned, fine as well.
They do not have to get involved, but they are sure welcome.

The main relation with the DNS domain name nbc.com is by 'human'
association. Someone wanting to have information about
tv:eastern.nbc.com, might have a look at a website http://www.nbc.com as
mentioned in the tv:URI registry. Looking up the domain nbc.com (via
whois) would perhaps be less successful for explaining what
tv:eastern.nbc.com points at.

So actually there is in our view no hard relationship between tv:URIs
and domain names.

About the resolvability of tv:URIs we have a future hope that they might
become resolvable by automatic means. But in the mean time we are quite
happy at getting the list of available tv:URIs and some identifying
information. At configuration of a TV application, the tv:URI can then
be configured by human intervention after a lookup in the tv:URI
registry. Note that a similar situation already exists in Europe in case
of the use of Showview (see http://www.showview.com): each buyer of a
video/hard disk recorder with Showview needs to configure the mapping of
Showview channels onto actual TV channels.

Making the resovability dependent on the DNS system is not our intention
as this would *force* each tv:URI resolving to be dependent on the
cooperation of the domain name owner of the (super)domain in the tv:URI.

Iko Keesmaat (and Oskar van Deventer).

Iko Keesmaat
TNO Information and Communication Technology
The Netherlands