Re: Issues around sponsoring individual documents

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Mon, 10 September 2007 19:34 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Issues around sponsoring individual documents
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:02:10 +0200

I said before on this Apps list that I saw some IS as potentially damaging: the
sort of thing I had in mind is the I-D draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-05.txt,
currently  being discussed on the IETF main list.  This has failed to achieve
consensus and the document shepherd now proposes to seek consensus on a non-IETF
list.  OK, the list is public and publicised, but this topic is a really big one
for Internet users and if the IETF cannot muster a Working Group to hammer the
ideas into shape, then we should not be working on it - IMHO.  And, by
implication, no AD should be sponsoring it.

This is about the tenth such discussion on the main IETF list that has grabbed
my attention in 2007 - details vary, but all seem to say to me that 'this I-D
should not
have got this far in this state' - and almost all are IS.  Ironically, one such
I-D is draft-housley-tls-authz-extns which Sam Hartman sponsored and then didn't
and then ... well, read the archives of the main list.

Tom Petch