Re: draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-05 and draft-klensin-net-utf8-05

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 08 October 2007 16:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:42:41 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive@demon.net>
Subject: Re: draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-05 and draft-klensin-net-utf8-05
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org

--On Monday, October 08, 2007 3:19 PM +0100 "Clive D.W. Feather"
<clive@demon.net> wrote:

> John C Klensin said:
>>
>> New versions of these documents have been posted for your
>> reading pleasure, reflecting comments and discussions on this
>> list (and some private correspondence about editorial issues)
>> today.
>
> unicode-escapes section 7 has a spurious closing double quote.

Will check on this.

> Appendix A.1., comment after "BMP-form", what does "the one
> above" refer to?

Probably the result of pulling that text out to a separate
section.  Will check.

> Nitpick: some slashes in the definition of HEXDIG have a space
> before them and some don't. You've also got two spaces after
> some = and three after others.

If the RFC Editor thinks this is important, I'm sure they will
fix it.

> You don't have an A.3 for Java.

Because there was no specific syntax in the last draft that had
the syntax in line.

Re the FF and CR discussions: please understand that, if one
were able to erase the entire history of text on the network and
start over today, one might reasonably do something different.
Or one might not.  But, because this whole business is intended
for untagged text, making incompatible changes in interpretation
of strings is just not, IMO, a plausible option.  CR was
discussed more intensely in the net-utf8 draft because it is
discussed more intensely in the NVT / Net-ASCII documents.  Bare
LF was discussed less because it wasn't considered much of an
issue and because the negative effects of interpreting it
differently than the sender intended were much less severe
(e.g., one-line vertical indexing versus NewLine) than the
consequences of getting the interpretation of bare CR wrong
(NewLine versus overstriking).  Anyone who has

 seen a terminal
                or other display
                                 render bare-LF
                                                text like this

versus having lines overstuck or, worse, rewritten multiple
times with each one being quickly erased, should understand this
immediately.  The LF case is readable, if annoying, and the
source of the problem is almost immediately clear.  The CR case
obscures text: on a fast enough device, or on a system that
canonicalizes before transmitting, one ends up looking only at
the last line of a paragraph and has to guess what might have
happened.

I could try to incorporate a little more text along those lines
in the document, but please remember that it has already been
criticized for containing too much history and explanation
rather than just laying out the rules.

General comment on these two documents.  In both cases, I
started them because it appeared that they would be useful to
the community.  I am not strongly committed to them and my
patience for nitpicking has just reached zero.  So, I will
generate -06 drafts if they are really needed, but that is it:
if the community, or selected individuals, want the quest for
perfection to drive out the opportunity to have something useful
(but probably imperfect), this is your opportunity.  Or, if
there is someone who has more patience and time than I do who
would like to take over and polish them to a high luster, please
let me know.

      john