RE: analysis of YANG vs. RELAX NG

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Wed, 28 November 2007 12:29 UTC

Subject: RE: analysis of YANG vs. RELAX NG
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:28:55 +0100
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, Leif Johansson <leifj@it.su.se>

Lisa,

As Juergen has pointed, we differentiate in the OPS area between
information model and data model. I believe that much of what you say
about ontology and data model in English actually relates to what we
call information models. There was an effort to start a new information
model (nim) in the IETF, we had a BOF some time ago, but the general
feeling was that the endeavor is too big, the field too dynamic, and
other SDOs may be better places for IM definition. The approach that you
see today which starts with the definition of a data modeling language
and uses it to perform a one step modeling resulting in an interoperable
data structure is the result of accumulating experience and a few basic
requirements derived from the needs of the operators performing network
management operations - scalability, extensibility, machine readable and
yet human comprehensible format, interoperability between different
vendors agents and managers, form factor that allows rather complex and
large configuration data bases to run or relatively resource challenged
devices.

Dan