Draft of Executive Intro to X.500

"Patricia G. Smith" <psmith> Fri, 15 November 1991 14:25 UTC

From: "Patricia G. Smith" <psmith>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1991 09:24:58 -0500
To: disi
Subject: Draft of Executive Intro to X.500

First of all ... thanks to Chris, Joyce and Sergio for producing
this document. With all the hoopla about various directory
services and lack of coherent info, it is most welcome.

Most of my small nits I'll save for next week. One suggestion
I wanted to put out to the list ... I would find it helpful
if a section was added that compares X.500 with WAIS/Z.39.50.
My understanding is that each excels in different areas and
that we have room for all to grow and prosper. But, there is a
lot of confusion 'out there' as to the various plusses and
minuses of each.  Even though this is an "X.500 document"
I think such a brief summary would be appropriate.

See you in Santa Fe ... Pat

                             Patricia G. Smith
                     Merit/NSFNET Information Services

   Merit Network, Inc.                           voice (313) 936-3000
   2901 Hubbard, Pod G                           FAX   (313) 747-3185
   Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2016                     psmith@merit.edu