Re: Writing Assignments from the March 11 meeting

Ruth Lang <rlang@NISC.SRI.COM> Wed, 20 March 1991 16:12 UTC

To: Chris Weider <clw>
Cc: disi, rlang@NISC.SRI.COM
Subject: Re: Writing Assignments from the March 11 meeting
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1991 08:11:46 -0800
From: Ruth Lang <rlang@NISC.SRI.COM>

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 13:07:42 EST
From: Chris Weider <clw@merit.edu>

> 2) Installation and Interoperability Guide: Ruth Lange, Russ Wright.

Chris,

I just wanted to clarify the scope of this document before we begin.
As discussed in the DISI meeting on 3/11 at IETF, this working group
will produce a FYI/RFC document that will list available implementations
and objectively describe features but not give particular installation
instructions as they can be obtained with the software itself.  Russ
and I envision writing something akin to the NOC Tools Catalogue
(RFC 1147/FYI 2).

Russ and I discussed the content of the document and came up with the
following:

- include both public domain and commercial, national and international
  implementations

- list the following features using information supplied by the
  implementors or representing company:

	o hardware and software bases supported
	o resource requirements, e.g., disk space
	o acquisition method, e.g., ftp
	o completeness, i.e., voids in implementation with respect
	  to both the 88 standard and the 88 OIW Implementation Agreement
	o interoperability
	o transport layers, e.g., TCP/IP ala RFC 1006
	o user agents; list them and window systems they run under

Russ and I are developing survey form to guide our information gathering
efforts, and are defining the survey strategy (i.e., who to contact and
how).  We plan to begin soon, and encourage DISI members to send any
comments regarding this proposed effort to disi@merit.edu.

Thanks,

Ruth