Subject: Expanded DISI charter...
From: "Chris Weider" <clw>
To: disi
Date: Mon, 11 May 92 15:00:27 EDT

At the San Diego IETF, we took on a lot of additional responsibilities for
ourself. Here is a revised charter which lists those new activities,
and is available from the FTP servers around the net.
Chris Weider
Chair, DISI

Directory Information Services Infrastructure (disi)

Charter 
 
Chair(s):
     Chris Weider  <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           pub/[email-masked]

Description of Working Group:

The Directory Information Services (pilot) Infrastructure Working
Group (DISI) is chartered to facilitate the deployment in the Internet of
Directory Services based on implementations of the X.500 standards.
It will facilitate this deployment by producing informational RFCs
intended to serve as a Directory Services ``Administrator's Guide''.
These RFCs will relate the current usage and scope of the X.500
standard and Directory Services in North America and the world, and
will contain information on the procurement, installation, and
operation of various implementations of the X.500 standard.  As the
various implementations of the X.500 standard work equally well over
TCP/IP and CLNP, the DISI Working Group shall not mandate specific
implementations or transport protocols.

The DISI Working Group is an offshoot of the OSI Directory Services Group, and,
accordingly, is a combined effort of the OSI Integration Area and
User Services Area of the IETF.  The current OSIDS Working Group was
chartered to smooth out technical differences in information storage
schema and difficulties in the interoperability and coherence of
various X.500 implementations.  The DISI Group is concerned solely
with expanding the Directory Services infrastructure. As DISI will be
providing infrastructure with an eye towards truly operational status,
DISI will need to form liaisons with COSINE, Paradyse, and perhaps the
RARE WG3.

As a final document, the DISI Working Group shall write a Charter for
a new working group concerned with user services, integration, maintenance, and
operations of Directory Services, the Internet Directory User Services
Group.

Goals and Milestones: 
 
     Done Submit an Internet Draft on 'Catalog of available X.500 
          Implementations                                                      

     Done Submit to the IESG the 'Catalog of available X.500 Implementations' 
          as an informational document.                                        

     Done Submit an Internet Draft on 'Executive Introduction to X.500'        

     Done Submit to the IESG the 'Executive Introduction to X.500' as an 
          informational document.                                              

     Done Submit an Internet Draft on 'A Technical Overview of Directory 
          ervices and X.500'.                                                  

     Done Submit to the IESG the 'Technical Overview of Directory Services and 
          X.500' as an informational document.\                                

     Done First IETF Meeting: review and approve the Charter making any changes
          necessary. Examine needs and resources for the documentation to be   
          produced, using as a first draft a document produced by Chris Weider,
          Merit, which will be brought to the IETF.  Assign writing 
          assignments. Further work will be done electronically.               

   Jul 92 Submit as an Internet Draft the 'Advanced Usages' paper.             

   Jul 92 Submit as an Internet Draft the 'How to get registered' paper.       

   Nov 92 Submit to the IESG the 'How to get registered' paper as an 
          informational document.                                              

   Nov 92 Submit to the IESG the 'Advanced Usages' paper as an informational 
          document.                                                            

   Nov 92 Submit as an Internet Draft the 'Pilot Projects Catalog' paper.      

   Nov 92 Submit as an Internet Draft the 'Where do I belong in the  Directory'
          paper.                                                               

   Mar 93 Submit to the IESG the 'Pilot Projects Catalog' as an informational 
          document.                                                            

   Mar 93 Submit to the IESG the 'Where do I belong in the Directory' paper as 
          an informational document.                                           

   Mar 93 Submit as an Internet Draft the 'Guide to setting up a DSA'.         

   Jul 93 Submit to the IESG the 'Guide to setting up a DSA' as an 
          informational document.