Final version of DISI minutes, Santa Fe.

"Chris Weider" <clw> Fri, 20 December 1991 00:30 UTC

Received: by merit.edu (5.65/1123-1.0) id AA18543; Thu, 19 Dec 91 19:30:44 -0500
From: "Chris Weider" <clw>
Received: from home.merit.edu by merit.edu (5.65/1123-1.0) id AA18524; Thu, 19 Dec 91 19:30:24 -0500
Received: by home.merit.edu (4.1/client-0.9) id AA26743; Thu, 19 Dec 91 19:30:23 EST
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 19:30:23 EST
Message-Id: <9112200030.AA26743@home.merit.edu>
To: disi, mdavies@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Final version of DISI minutes, Santa Fe.
Status: O

Here's the final version of the DISI minutes from Santa Fe, with Ruth Lang's
comments added where appropriate.  This is the version I would like in the
IETF Proceedings and available for FTP. Thanks!
Chris Weider
DISI Chair

Here are the minutes from the Santa Fe meeting of DISI, from your humble
scrivner, Chris Weider

The agenda was as follows:

1: Discussion and possible modification of Atlanta minutes.
2: Ruth and Russ's document, mention work done and final form as the paper
    should be out as an I-D and started up the track.
3: Chris, Joyce, and Sergio's paper. This has been revised twice since Atlanta,
   and is on its (I hope) last round of reviews. It will be posted to the
   list no later than Wednesday, Nov 13, in whatever form it has then. Please
   read it and come prepared to discuss....
4: Discussion of and possible assignment of the 'How to join a pilot' 
   paper.
5: Discussion of and possible assignment of the 'How to set up a DSA' paper.
6: Future Work???

How it went:

  1: We discussed the Atlanta minutes and Chris W. gave an outline of the
changes proposed to the minutes. Ruth Lang noted that her comments on the 
Atlanta minutes had not been reflected in the minutes. She took an action
item to forward these comments to Chris W. (Ed. Note: She forwarded and he
incorporated.)

2: Ruth and Russ's document was discussed next. They mentioned that they 
had made the changes which had been suggested at Atlanta, and it was noted
by Joyce Reynolds that Jon Postel was eager to see this paper advanced to
RFC status as soon as possible.  Several modifications/additions were also
discussed. Chris Weider wanted to know why the authors did not flesh out
entries which had no information provided by the authors but which DISI
would be able to supply the relevant information; Ruth mentioned that DISI
should not be responsible for the implementation descriptions, as
there were some concerns about DISI's liability. However, DISI should be
responsible for the sections written by Ruth and Russ. Accordingly, we should
not provide input to the implementation descriptions without explicit 
authorization from the responsible organization or implementation description
author. Christian Huitema suggested the inclusion of benchmarks for
implementations. After some positive discussion, it was decided that this 
was something that we should do, but time would be needed to develop 
benchmarking tests, distribute the tests to implementors, and gather 
results for inclusion. Therefore, this version of the catalog document
will be issued without benchmarks, but the tests should be developed and 
recommmended for inclusion in the next version of the document.
Richard Colella suggested adding a 'date of last update' field to each
entry, to let the reader determine how recent the information is. This 
suggestion was accepted by DISI.

3: Chris, Joyce, and Sergio's document was discussed next. Many people
had not yet had a chance to read it, but those who did had several 
comments. The final upshot was that the people who read it thought that
it should focus less on technical details and more on 'What can it do for
me??'. Chris pointed out that the focus on technical details was mandated
to some extent by the necessity of explaining what makes X.500 so powerful,
but agreed that the focus should and would be shifted.

4, 5, and 6. Chris started discussion of the 'How to join a pilot' and
'How to set up a DSA' papers. Several people were of the opinion that there
should also be a 'X.500 Case Studies' paper written to show people how to 
set up and use X.500, and illustrate some of the stumbling points in the
deployment.  It was also suggested that the focus of DISI's 'How to join
a pilot' paper should really be a 'Pilot Catalog', listing points of 
contact to join each pilot, and some additional information.
After discussion of all three papers, (in addition to the paper
which had been mentioned on benchmarking), Ruth Lang mentioned that she
thought that we should not assign any more papers at this time, and that
she would take an action item to get the European versions of these papers
and post summaries to the list.  The group seemed to agree with this 
sentiment.

The group also discussed the creation of an "X.500 Bibliography"
document; i.e. a document that contains pointers to Internet-relevant
technical papers, books, and Internet-Drafts, or RFCs.  The writing of
this document was not assigned.