Re: [Disman] [Errata Rejected] RFC3877 (1652)

"Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock@openss7.org> Tue, 11 May 2010 23:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 17:44:01 -0600
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock@openss7.org>
To: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Disman <disman@ietf.org>, schishol@nortelnetworks.com
Subject: Re: [Disman] [Errata Rejected] RFC3877 (1652)

Randy,

Actually, the severity levels from M.3100 are completely different.
This MIB models the ITU-T Rec. X.721 ISO/EIC 10165-2 severities (OSI
severities, not telco severities).

Nevertheless, if one follows the alarm states in the document, a
more severe alarm (indeterminate(2)) will be masked by a less
severe alarm (warning(6)), making it largely unusable for the
purpose for which it was intended.

I submitted this errata over a year ago.  In the meantime I have
found this MIB so lacking that I implemented alarms management
completely in private MIBs.

So, do what you want with it: it is useless to me.

--brian