Subject: Re: [dispatch] Dispatch IETF 116 outcomes & minutes

From: Manu Sporny <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 12:41:25 -0400

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 1:35 AM Kirsty Paine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Multiformats dispatch outcome: Dispatch outcome depends on the scope and purpose of the work (to be decided by authors). There are two options depending on this decision; Option 1: ISE as an informational draft with IANA registrations; Option 2: a small, no-BoF-required, WG spun up to address this problem specifically.

Thank you, Kirsty, Shuping, ADs, and attendees, for the time offered
and the consideration for the Multiformats work presented earlier
today in Dispatch. The concept of a quick, tightly focused WG to just
address the two work items proposed is compelling, especially given
that there was some feedback from those in the room that "the work is
poorly thought through". I believe those opinions might be based on
misunderstandings of the technology, but at the same time, proceeding
along the ISE path feels like it would be irresponsible if there are
design issues with the technology.

At this point, I believe an ISE path would only be responsible if we
were able to address the criticisms raised during the presentation,
either by determining that they were  misunderstandings (most likely),
or determining that there are design flaws with Multiformats
(unlikely, but not known without further discussion).

As next steps, I will do the following (and request that the Dispatch
ADs provide further guidance if they view any of the steps below as
ill conceived):

1. Send an email to each commenter with unaddressed concerns, with
dispatch CC'd, to more completely address concerns raised during the
dispatch presentation and confirm whether or not there was a
misunderstanding or a design flaw.

2. Request input from the Multiformats implementers on their
preference wrt. ISE or WG. One challenge would be finding a Chair for
the WG and coordinating activity through IETF (given that much of the
Multiformats community operates outside of IETF and W3C).

3. Start drafting a presumptive Multiformats mini-WG charter to
determine what a mini-WG could look like and what it might and might
not change. Is there an previous/example charter for a "mini-WG"
somewhere that I could use as a template? Understanding what a "small,
no-BOF-required, WG charter" timeline could look like will help me
convey that timeline to W3C and the Multiformats community.

Thank you again for the guidance through Dispatch, and the comments
from everyone, it is very much appreciated. :)

-- manu

-- 
Manu Sporny - https://www.linkedin.com/in/manusporny/
Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
News: Digital Bazaar Announces New Case Studies (2021)
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/