Re: [dispatch] [AVT] Proposal to form Internet Wideband Audio Codec WG

Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com> Wed, 03 June 2009 01:50 UTC

From: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
To: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 21:50:30 -0400
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] [AVT] Proposal to form Internet Wideband Audio Codec WG

To directly answer Henry, having a mail list and the initial (and
possibly detailed) discussion hosted at the IETF costs less than the
discussion we are having here.  If a codec comes out of it, without
having a BOF or WG, that's great!  If not, at least there was a forum
for doing it.

I can also offer a SIP Forum list if people still really, really don't
like the idea of even discussing the topic under even the most
faintest of auspices of the IETF.

If you think I am schizophrenic by offering we can have a discussion
in the IETF and at the same time I doubt we could ever have a formal
work group to create the codec, you would be only slightly
correct :-)  But seriously: the IETF (AVT in particular) can pickup
the wire format for a codec, once the codec exists. Having a mail list
WITHOUT A WORK GROUP give people who want to work on this a venue to
do the work, without burdening the AD's, IESG, and the rest of the
community. If a codec pops out, then we can run with it.