Re: [dispatch] WHIP - WebRTC HTTP ingestion protocol

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Mon, 30 November 2020 17:56 UTC

To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Cc: Alex Gouaillard <dralex@millicast.com>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:56:09 -0600
Subject: Re: [dispatch] WHIP - WebRTC HTTP ingestion protocol

Having read through the proposal and watched the corresponding segment
of the DISPATCH meeting from two weeks ago, I think that having
something like this standardized would be very useful, both for the
handful of broadcasting tools that exist as well as for the various
WebRTC broadcast networks that are being deployed.

So I definitely think we should pursue this work in the IETF.

It's a little less clear to me whether we want to slot this into
something like MMUSIC or to create a short-lived working group. I'm
leaning towards the second, for a couple of reasons. First, I found
Ted's comments at the DISPATCH meeting to be kind of illuminating as far
as the kinds of additional work that might be necessary (and I have my
own list of things that might need some refinement, like negotiation of
authentication mechanisms); and that nudges the effort into a "maybe a
little larger than just one work item in a long-standing working group."
More importantly, this work straddles the real-time media and web
disciplines, and I'd like to make sure we have people from the latter
group putting eyes on it. I seriously doubt we can get HTTP experts
showing up at MMUSIC, but there's at least a fair chance that we might
get them interested in a lower-volume mailing list such as a dedicated
WHIP WG.

I think this mirrors, for the most part, the tentative conclusion that
came out of the DISPATCH discussion earlier this month. If we decide to
take this path of creating a short-lived WG, I'm happy to help craft a
charter and plan to be actively involved in the technical work.

/a