Re: [dispatch] Updated CCUS Charter Text - Call Control UUI for SIP

Alan Johnston <alan@sipstation.com> Mon, 09 November 2009 06:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:40:47 -0600
From: Alan Johnston <alan@sipstation.com>
To: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Updated CCUS Charter Text - Call Control UUI for SIP

Keith,

Thank you for your careful read and comments on the charter text.

See my comments below.  Your last point below is very important and it
would be great to get some opinions from others.

Thanks,
Alan

DRAGE, Keith (Keith) wrote:
> 1)	"4. The information is expected to survive retargeting, redirection, and retargeting."
>
> "retargeting" appears twice.

Yes, and the information must survive if the retargeting happens twice,
too ;-)

> 2)	"For interworking with ISDN, minimal
> information about the content of the UUI is available.  In this case only, the content will just indicate ISDN UUI Service 1 interworking rather than the actual content."
>
> This could imply that the existing protocol discriminator, which does carry information about the content, is lost. I hope that is not true.

No, we will not loose the protocol discriminator.  I didn't think it
provided that much information about the content, but whatever
information it provides will be available.

> 3)	I am somewhat concerned that the focus now appears to be on SIP UA to SIP UA, rather than interworking with other signalling systems that also carry such information. Where we have a SIP UA talking to a SIP UA, For at least some of the usages where a SIP UA is talking to a SIP UA, we may well already have SIP mechanisms in place to support this.

The previous charter text had an ISDN interworking focus, but the
consensus in the DISPATCH meeting was that there was strong interest in
UUI outside ISDN interworking.

> In general, we should be focussing on those existing usages transported in other protocols, and any new pure SIP usage should go through the normal SIP extension considerations. With the focus as it currently appears, we could end up spending years defining a fully proper solution, whereas I believe we need something quicker and potentially less than perfect for the SIP UA to SIP UA scenarios. Note that by SIP UA I am talking about a real SIP endpoint here, not the UA that may form part of an interworking gateway.

This is an important scope issue for the charter.

I understand your concern.  I am hopeful that we will not end up with a
complicated solution and that the mechanism will work for both ISDN and
non-ISDN approaches.

I think that enough people care strongly about the ISDN interworking
case that if the mechanism discussions bog down, that the WG could
recharter to deliver two mechanisms - one for ISDN interworking and
another more  general mechanism.  However, I'd prefer not to start with
that approach until we have proven that a single mechanism is too complex.

Do others have an opinion on this?