Re: [dispatch] Proposal to form Internet Wideband Audio Codec WG

Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com> Mon, 01 June 2009 22:02 UTC

From: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
To: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:02:22 -0400
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Proposal to form Internet Wideband Audio Codec WG

I again have to point out, as I did with iLBC, that just because
something is Open Source and submitted Without IPR and, as proposed
here, done in a non-IPR regime, does NOT necessarily mean the result
is without encumbrances.

Since I like to keep people away from trouble, I won't quote existing
IPR. Let's look at some expired IPR instead.

If your proposed codec used LPC, it would violate a Philips patent.
For that matter, it would step on a handful of TI patents.

I would guess (but I have NOT done a search), if the proposed codec
used FFT, DCT, physiological modeling, filtering, etc., it would step
on a handful of patents.

I would offer the math work for developing a codec is something
outside the IETF area of expertise.  I suppose it is right and proper
to ask the question, as to counter Joel's take-it-to-the-logical-
conclusion the IETF should do everything (not), one could ask if the
IETF should not ever do anything new (I would offer: not).

I would also offer the protocol work for such a codec is something the
IETF really, really should do.  If that work is somehow different than
the AVT work, for example, if such a codec required a transport that
RTP/SRTP cannot provide, then a new work group would be in order.

My vote is the IETF does not have the expertise to do the math part.
My vote is the IETF has the best expertise for the protocol part.