Re: [dispatch] Progressing draft-holmberg-dispatch-rfc7315-updates as AD sponsored

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 20 April 2016 15:59 UTC

To: "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>, dispatch@ietf.org
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 10:59:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Progressing draft-holmberg-dispatch-rfc7315-updates as AD sponsored

I apologize for the delay in responding here -- due to total mailing
list volume, I do not read the DISPATCH list exhaustively, and this
request for review was not brought to my attention until late last week.

There is a mishandling of ACK in this draft that I need to block it on,
but I think it can be remedied very easily.

>    o  P-Access-Network-Info: Add statement that the header field can
>       appear in the SIP ACK method.
>
>    o  P-Charging-Vector: Add statement that the header field can appear
>       in the SIP ACK method.

These should say "SIP ACK method, but only when sent to acknowledge a
2XX-class response."

Since ACKs for non-2XX responses are processed hop-by-hop, you cannot
include any information in them (for the same reason you can't put
information in CANCEL requests). And so...

>    P-Access-Network-Info header field can appear in all SIP methods
>    and responses, except in CANCEL methods and CANCEL responses.
>    The P-Charging-Vector header field can appear in all SIP methods and

...becomes something like: "P-Access-Network-Info and P-Charging-Vector
header fields can appear in all SIP methods and responses, except in
CANCEL methods, CANCEL responses, and ACK methods that acknowledge
non-2xx responses."

One additional review note that does not affect my expert review (treat
it as a last-call comment):

>       Add statement that the P-Visited-
>       Network-ID header field cannot appear in the SIP NOTIFY, PRACK,
>       INFO and UPDATE methods.

It seems to me that it would be significantly more future proof to phase
this as "...cannot appear in mid-dialog requests," as that appears to be
the intention. The revised text then becomes something like: "The
P-Visited-Network-ID header field can appear in all SIP methods except
ACK and CANCEL; however, it cannot be sent in any mid-dialog requests."

/a