Re: [dispatch] Work for IETF114

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Fri, 10 June 2022 15:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 11:06:58 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>
cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Work for IETF114

Bron,

I've looked at the abstracts of, but have not studied, the
material Julian pointed to, but I believe I'd think about this
is a different way.  For starters, if the content/information is
important enough to encrypt, your probably want it to land on
the recipient's machine (or at least the recipient's mail
server) encrypted, without the server decrypting what it should
not see before sending, without depending on TLS. If one starts
there, whether the data are transferred to the recipient over
HTTPS or over email is a matter of taste, size considerations,
etc.  If that is the case, then think about this as mostly an
MUA problem, possibly with a near-trivial browser extension.

Certainly worth a discussion at DISPATCH or a bit of
brainstorming in ARTArea.

Without having thought carefully about this, I'd think about
something like a trick URI type, one that might look something
vaguely like:

   ENCRYPTEDFILE://SomeDomain/key/URL-of-server-and-location/

where "SomeDomain" would normally be local, or somewhere trusted
with the key and to safely transfer it, or maybe a new
Well-Known type.  The local UA (MUA or Browser) would interpret
that URI as telling it to get and temporarily store the key,
then use https://URL-of-server-and-location/ to pick up the
content, decrypt locally, etc.   Obviously there are lots of
variations on syntax and details, but that would seem like a
reasonable general approach and one that would be easier to
deploy than anything requiring complex interactions with
servers.  If anyone cared about or supported
message/external-body, it could be handled as a reasonable
variation on that theme too.

Sadly, your note comes a month or two late because the person
who would be best at thinking about the issue would have been
the late Ned Freed.

best,
   john

--On Friday, June 10, 2022 23:22 +1000 Bron Gondwana