Re: [Diversity] [Mentoring-coordinators] Participation in active IETF work

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Tue, 19 April 2016 15:02 UTC

To: nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com, "dcrocker@bbiw.net" <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>, SM <sm@resistor.net>
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:02:38 -0700
Cc: Hui Deng <denghui02@gmail.com>, Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.ietf@gmail.com>, "diversity@ietf.org" <diversity@ietf.org>, Christian O'Flaherty <oflaherty@isoc.org>, Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com>, "mentoring-coordinators@ietf.org" <mentoring-coordinators@ietf.org>, Vinayak Hegde <vinayakh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Diversity] [Mentoring-coordinators] Participation in active IETF work

On 4/19/2016 7:37 AM, nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com wrote:
>  > 1.  Internet draft review teams (already started)
> ..
>  > 3.  Internet draft critique teams (will start time after next!)  Help
>  > people who have a draft make it better.
>  >My guess is that you intend the two efforts to come at different times
>  >and to have people who differ in their relationship to the document
>  >development process.  But that's just a guess and it's not very specific.
> Yes.  I think I need a different name for the activity #3.
>
> What I was thinking is:
>
> 3.  Internet Draft Author Assistance:  The team will help an author who
> is due to present at an upcoming IETF.  etc, etc.

Oh.  Yeah, that sounds extremely useful.

> But, as I think more, we probably need a step in between, as in:
>
> 3.  Internet Draft Author Assistance: Phase 1:  The team will help an
> author who has a draft but does not have an agenda slot.  The group will
> help the author solidify his / her ideas, see where there are holes in
> the logic, etc.
>
> 4.  Internet Draft Author Assistance: Phase 2:  The team will help an
> author who is due to present at an upcoming IETF.  etc, etc

So, there's a challenge in designing an overall approach this is simple
and useful.  It will help quite a bit to create a careful list of the
different kinds of help that might be provided, but I suspect the actual
work needs to be divided into only a small number of of different groups.

My immediate thought is that you might want something like:

    1. Document Development Mentors

       These are the folk who help an author create a readable and
useful document and help them interact with the working group. They have
continuing 'context' for the work.  I suspect they also would help the
author prepare for a presentation.

    2. Document Reviewers

       These would be outside readers who would comment informally.  In
effect, they would augment the commentary of the document mentors.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking