Re[2]: [dix] Agenda bashing

Chris Drake <christopher@pobox.com> Wed, 20 June 2007 14:28 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:28:24 +1000
From: Chris Drake <christopher@pobox.com>
To: Digital Identity Exchange <dix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re[2]: [dix] Agenda bashing

Hi Eliot,

It's actually possible to get your secure opaque channel without smart
cards.

Merely some nifty graphics, HTML, and shared secrets (traditional
meaning) are one implementation, while non-smart tokens are another
(eg: printed or electronic tokens)

Servers can't communicate "securely" unless something is able to
"authenticate" the *server* before it is allowed to authenticate the
user.  Smart cards and PwdHash don't/can't do this, at least not
without extra hardware at the client, which almost nobody has of
course.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake