[DLNEX] 答复: Various sources contributing to E2E latency/delay-- Discussion of reliable and deterministic latency attributes

Zongning <zongning@huawei.com> Mon, 07 November 2016 08:52 UTC

From: Zongning <zongning@huawei.com>
To: Discussion of reliable and deterministic latency attributes <dlnex@ietf.org>, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Pat Thaler <pat.thaler@broadcom.com>, "ietf@bobbriscoe.net" <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 08:52:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.79.110]
Cc: "matthew.bocci@nokia.com" <matthew.bocci@nokia.com>, "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, "detnet@ietf.org" <detnet@ietf.org>, "Patrick Wetterwald (pwetterw)" <pwetterw@cisco.com>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: [DLNEX] 答复: Various sources contributing to E2E latency/delay-- Discussion of reliable and deterministic latency attributes

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for pointing out the text for reading. It is an excellent and useful survey indeed. ☺
While I am still reading the paper, I have quick (maybe naïve) questions as below.

1)       I see you adopted “the amount of data transferred” as one parameter for benchmarking. Would you think it is also important to consider the “characteristic of the flow”? e.g. some flow may have regular burst or even be totally unexpected.

2)       I am especially interested in DBCC (Delay Based Congestion Control). The paper argues it is difficult to deploy over the Internet due to potential starvation by loss-based flows. Is this one of the motivation of L4S that separates the queues for different (loss or latency sensitive) flows? Again, I’d think it is interesting to have L4S (or similar) capability abstracted and exposed to handle potentially unbounded flows, e.g. how many latency bounded flows could be supported in certain network node.

Anyway, this is a good paper for gap analysis and build new ideas upon.

Thanks.

-Ning