Re: [dmarc-ietf] non-mailing list use case for differing header domains

"Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com> Sat, 08 August 2020 18:05 UTC

From: "Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com>
To: "dmarc@ietf.org" <dmarc@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 18:05:08 +0000

The unifying principle is that we need a third-party authentication method, a need which is not adequately satisfied with SPF and DKIM.   The standard can support multiple options, such as the following

send3="method=ATPS,p=reject,sp=quarantine;  method=reputation,p=quarantine,dns=uri; method=RHSWL, sp=reject"

where:
"method=ATPS" means RFC 6541 third-party signatures, as suggested by Hector"method=reputation" means a trust service like trusted-forwarders.org, as suggested by John"method=RHSWL" means the whitelist system suggested by Alessandro
Usage:
If multiple methods are specified, the receiver checks all of the methods that it is willing and able to use.If p= is missing, the third-party authentication method is not supported for primary domains.If sp= is missing, the third-party verification method is not supported for subdomainsIf any method passes, the message passes.   No other checks need to be performed.   If all methods fail, the strictest policy is the recommendation action.If any third-party authorization method is supported, the DMARC policies should be p=none and sp=none, to avoid false positives by entities that do not know how to check the third-party method.
A domain could optionally advertise which third-party methods it is willing to check using a similar keyword structure:
verify3="method ATPS;  method=reputation; dns=uri; method=RHSWL".
This would allow senders to limit third-party impersonation to those recipients that will accept the impersonation as legitimate.

It would be desirable for DMARC feedback reports to indicate which third-party methods were checked.   Updating the reporting specification might be more complex than specifying the verification method itself.

Do we move forward with an approach like this?