Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Ticket #55 - Clarify legal and privacy implications of failure reports

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 18:35:10 +0100

On Thu 31/Dec/2020 17:00:29 +0100 John Levine wrote:
> In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>>> Many Girl Scout troops were affected when Yahoo published p=reject. Which is 
>>> probably why John brought it up. This isn’t a hypothetical, this is things that 
>>> we know actually happened and real world effects of DMARC.
>>
>>I'd guess the problem they experienced have been mailing list and submissions 
>>using ISP's bundled services or similar unauthorized MSAs.  The former is fixed 
>>by From: rewriting, the latter has no possible fix.
> 
> Not a good guess.  Please review previous messages in this thread for clues.

Ah, yeah, the ESPs.  Besides dmarc=fail, they also trigger some SA macros, such 
as FORGED_GMAIL_RCVD, FREEMAIL_FORGED_FROMDOMAIN, FREEMAIL_FROM, 
FROM_EXCESS_BASE64, HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS, HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_04, 
HTML_MESSAGE, ...

>> Are there other unwanted effects?
> 
> The main effect is that the mail they'd been sending from their ESP
> with their Yahoo address on the From: line used to work, and now falls
> on the floor or worse.

Why can't the ESPs do From: rewriting?

Best
Ale
--