Re: [dmarc-ietf] Time for a change

"Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com> Sun, 16 August 2020 19:09 UTC

From: "Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com>
To: dmarc@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:08:58 +0000
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Time for a change

The reality is that IETF has mostly provided followership, not leadership, on matters of security.  This forum is replicating history.   As has been mentioned in the historical review, SPF, DKIM, and DMARC were independently successful projects, as was SSL.  IETF provided after-the-fact blessing.   It is time to follow the same model.

If there is an opportunity to accelerate DMARC adoption, I think it is in the area of third-party authentication, presumably based on ATSP.   To move the possibility forward, we need to move off this list.  The target audience for this capability will be organizations that are non-DMARC or DMARC p=none specifically because DKIM delegation is an obstacle.    I have no idea whether that category is a trivial or non-trivial group, so we would need to find out.  Major ESPs are successfully implementing DKIM scope delegation to comply with DMARC, so maybe it is not the issue.   DKIM delegation creates complexity which becomes an obstacle to new entrants, so big ESPs may like the status quo just fine.   These are all things need to be assessed, and are more important than writing a new specification.

Then, we need to expand the base of participants to include people who would be willing to implement the third-party authentication scheme after it is defined.   I think that list would need to look something like this:

A national government representative to ensure that any new proposal is not vetoed, A financial services industry representativeAn Email Service Provider industry representativeA large organization that is holding back on DMARC p=reject because DKIM delegation is an obstacle.One or more commercial product representativesI would love to have Verizon Media participate, but I have asked and had no response.
If you want to participate, send me a direct email.    More importantly, if you have connections with people who could play the role of influencers, reach out to them.

If there are other topics that would move DMARC forward, we can put them up for consideration.  If you want to discuss special treatment for mailing lists, you are specifically disinvited.

Doug Foster