Re: [dmarc-ietf] Debugging and preventing DKIM failures- suggestion

"Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com> Fri, 31 May 2019 10:59 UTC

From: "Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com>
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
CC: IETF DMARC WG <dmarc@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 06:59:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Debugging and preventing DKIM failures- suggestion

I cannot speak to IETF consensus, since I am new to that process and I seem
to be an  outlier already.

 Agency and signatures are well understood legal concepts.   3000 years
ago, people sealed their letters with a signet ring stamped in warm clay.
Signing technologies have changed in that time, but the principle has not.
 A courier is responsible for keeping the signed and sealed part of a
message unaltered.   Envelope marks are acceptable.

 A digital signature is supposed to provide non-repudiation.  If I submit a
signed message to a list processor, and the list processor voids the
signature, it has given me verifiable repudiation, the opposite of what
either sender or receiver want.

 A closed group on a single server can use whatever rules they choose to
implement in that community.  For example, a web forum operates on the
rules of the forum operator.   However, an open group using the email
infrastructure has to work within the infrastructure it uses.   In the
email infrastructure, the recipient has to deal with fraud, and any
recipient accommodation to "harmless" fraud facilitates the people who are
doing "harmful" fraud to that recipient.

 There are some obvious use-cases for MTA changes to a message, and we
would do well to document and address them.

 The first that comes to mind is MTA comment fields.
 - A list processor wants to add a comment indicating something about the
list that sent it.
 - A spam filter wants to add a tag indicating that the message is
suspicious, but not sufficiently suspicious to be blocked.

 IETF would do well to specify a mechanism for MTAs to add information
which MUAs present to the user, while identifiying that that the
information came from the MTA rather than the original sender.

 Another use-case is related to body sections.   IETF only forwards plain
text, while most email solutions send messages in HTML+Text.   I assume
that IETF also drops attachments.   DKIM cannot handle this because it
hashes the entire body.   A signature system that signed each section
individually would allow sections to be dropped, with notification to the
user, without breaking the signatures on the other MIME types.

 DKIM was supposed to provide sender authentication when SPF was
invalidated by forwarding, so DMARC said that the two techniques should be
evaluated together.   I am realizing that if SPF is invalidated, DKIM is
probably invalidated as well, so we have no usable sender authentication
technology.   This may explain why so many products that I have examined
lack support for DMARC or lack good exception mechanisms for SPF, DKIM, and
DMARC.

 It seems that email needs something like "DNS Flag Day", where major
players announce a date after which certain behaviors that will no longer
be tolerated.   But as others have said, IETF is not that organization, and
the organization may not exist.

 More discouraged than ever,

 Doug Foster