Re: [dmarc-ietf] DNS library queries for DKIM and DMARC records?

"Doug Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com> Wed, 15 May 2019 14:10 UTC

From: Doug Foster <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com>
To: 'Dave Crocker' <dcrocker@gmail.com>, 'IETF DMARC WG' <dmarc@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 10:09:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] DNS library queries for DKIM and DMARC records?

I have recently begun evaluating my incoming traffic for DKIM status, and I
suspect the results are relevant to your question.

These results are based on 768 unique domains, on signed messages, received
over a few adjacent days.  Messages that were blocked for any reason are
excluded from the analysis.  (I am not blocking based on DKIM status).

22  2.9% have DKIM signatures but fail verification 100%
15   2.0% have some DKIM verification failures

 7    0.9% have 100% rejection due to DNS record syntax errors
 1   0.1% have some rejections due to DNS record syntax errors

10  1.3% have 100% DKIM TXT lookup failures
  1 0.1% have some DKIM TXT lookup failures
---  ----
57  7.3%  have DKIM problems

This failure rate is much higher than I would have expected.

When DKIM verification failures are detected, several possibilities must be
considered:
- an error exists in the signature generation algorithm at the source system
- modification or addition of a signed header during transit
- an error exists in the signature verification algorithm at the receiving
system

We receive very little indirect mail, so I believe that forwarding is not a
significant contributor to these problems.

For this type of debugging, it would be helpful if the receiving system
logged the message exactly as it was used for signature verification.  This
would permit independent verification using a tool such as the message
header checker at MxToolbox.com.   For the devices that I manage, this is
not the case.   Some of the devices do not log the full message at all.  The
one that does full logging only logs the message as it is relayed outbound.

My research also exposed a probable data-related bug on one mail server,
which causes it to generate incorrect signatures on a small percentage of
our outbound traffic.   I will be working with the vendor on that.

Doug Foster