Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Response to a claim in draft-crocker-dmarc-author-00 security considerations
From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:12:39 -0700
List-Id: "Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Compliance \(DMARC\)" <dmarc.ietf.org>

>> My wording was not careful enough.  What I /meant/ was: end-users are
>> not relevant to the /trust-related decision making/ that is the goal
>> of these protection mechanisms.
>
> This may be a philosophical theory, but in reality, in lieu of having 
> deterministic mechanisms, we do have mail systems who do allow the 
> user to make these type of trust decisions.  If a trust-related 
> question is answered wrong by the user, the true victim is the honest 
> sender.

My comment was about observable behavior, not philosophical anything.

The issue isn't about was is available to users, but what they actually 
do.  Behavior.

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net