[dmarc-ietf] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-dmarc-01-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in> Tue, 20 November 2018 21:03 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: dmarc-chairs@ietf.org, dmarc@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 13:03:24 -0800
Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-dmarc-01-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-dmarc-01-00: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dmarc/

BLOCK:

(1) I realize this re-charter is motivated by a small update, but it seems
confusing to maintain text that is out-of-date when publishing a re-charter.
Someone already pointed out the issue with RFC 7960; I would also argue that
the following change is needed:

OLD
The existing DMARC base specification has been submitted as an
   Independent Submission to become an Informational RFC.
NEW
The existing DMARC base specification has been published as RFC 7489 in the
Independent Stream.

(2) "Any issues related to the email authentication space ..." seems like a
rather broad charge. I understand the desire to work on
draft-levine-appsarea-eaiauth, but does that really justify this much wider
charter expansion? I feel like the point of the chartering process is to avoid
this kind of catch-all.

COMMENT:

"2. Reviewing and improving the base DMARC specification

   The working group will not develop additional mail authentication
   technologies, but may document authentication requirements that are
   desirable."

It's not clear how documenting authentication requirements implies directly
improving the base specification.