Re: [dmarc-ietf] Sender vs From Addresses

Charles Gregory <Charles@possumdelight.com> Wed, 24 March 2021 22:25 UTC

From: Charles Gregory <Charles@possumdelight.com>
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, "dmarc@ietf.org" <dmarc@ietf.org>
CC: "gelliot@mimecast.com" <gelliot@mimecast.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 22:25:09 +0000
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Sender vs From Addresses

"I talk to people at large mail providers a lot, and I do not recall
this partiticular situation coming up as a problem, ever.  Do you have concrete experience to the contrary?"

I am your concrete example.  The users of the custom mail platform I administer are a division within a multinational firm.  They are assigned an email addresses based on their global domain name and use Office 365.  While completely sanctioned, our division's marketing platform doesn't have access to the corporate mothership's email infrastructure.  The red tape would be prohibitive.  We send our emails from a domain registered for the division on behalf of the sending user's corporate email address.  We collect the bounces at the division's return path address which is always the same.  The bounces are automatically marked and cleaned up in our marketing database.

"The problem with keying DMARC to the sender is that if you believe that people look at the From header, it turns DMARC into filtering based on the reputation of the DKIM or SPF identity.  Mail providers already knew how to do that before DMARC existed."

Has anyone considered an option to add "affiliated domains" to a DNS entry?  That way at least you could specify legitimate alternate/authorized domains that could still pass DMARC.

"other than desktop Outlook, MUAs do not show
the sender at all.  Gmail and web Outlook don't."

I wish they would.

Charles Gregory

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device