Re: [dmarc-ietf] Aggregate reporting options tag name 'ao'

Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it> Thu, 08 August 2019 10:34 UTC

To: dmarc@ietf.org
From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 12:34:38 +0200
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Aggregate reporting options tag name 'ao'

No, wait a minute, what are we talking about?

I've re-browsed this thread, and various passages seem to be talking
about failure reports.  The Network Error Logging is also similar  to
failure reports inasmuch as they talk of logging each instance of a
class of events, or a percentage thereof.  *Aggregate* reports arrive
once a day, and millions of successful messages from a handful of IP
addresses result in a handful of records, reported within a single
message, along with any failures.  The bandwidth difference is
negligible.  Multiply that by the number of mailbox providers, what is it?

I never experimented frequencies higher than once every 24 hours,
neither for the ri= I set, nor for honoring requests —I run the
process once a day.  Anyway, I reckon that sending more often
increases the total amount of data sent, hence the bandwidth.  If it
is problematic to receive all those reports, the protocol should
specify a different sending strategy.  IMHO, that's not the case.

Best
Ale