Re: [DMM] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 01 August 2019 13:05 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 15:05:10 +0200
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility@ietf.org>, "sgundave@cisco.com" <sgundave@cisco.com>, "dmm-chairs@ietf.org" <dmm-chairs@ietf.org>, "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>, Dapeng Liu <max.ldp@alibaba-inc.com>, "Satoru Matsushima (satoru.matsushima@gmail.com)" <satoru.matsushima@gmail.com>, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@gmail.com>
To: "Moses, Danny" <danny.moses@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [DMM] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Danny,

I cleared my discuss now. However, given these are quite large changes, I think Suresh and the chairs need to decide if they want/need to rerun the wg last call.

See further comments inline (given I know had some time to look at this again and would like to add some thoughts).

> On 31. Jul 2019, at 21:52, Moses, Danny <danny.moses@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mirja (and all other reviewers),
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I read once more your comments about the removal of the Socket API definitions (from February 2019), and after more thought agree to remove it from the normative part of the document.
> I believe that the important aspect of this work is to define the ability of applications to indicate the type of service they require in terms of session continuity and IP address reachability. The part that enhances the Socket APIs is our idea of implementation and not necessarily the only one. Once the concepts are defined, Socket API enhancements may better be defined in other forums.

I have to said I wasn’t fully aware that RFC3493, RFC3542, and RFC5014 specify the Socket API in such detail. I personally still think that RFCs are not the best format to specify APIs in that detail (e.g. using full functional c code) as usually the communities implementing these APIs in the end may have additional considerations for what to optimise for. However, these RFC mostly specify new structs and did not change the actual socket functions. In this sense the change proposed in this new drafts seems to be a much bigger change. Note that documenting an existing implementation of an API in an informational RFC can be a different case.

Anyway for this document I would still say that the best way to implement this new API isn’t fully clear, and therefore it might be better to not demand one specific way to implement. Initially when reading the draft I didn’t fully think thought the blocking case. However, I guess another option would be to do the request for a new address during bind() if needed, however, I’m sure there are more thinks to consider when to best initiate such a request. On the other hand, acquiring an address of a specific type seems actually independent of opening a socket and could be done any time before the socket is created and bound. So I think removing any specifics is a good way forward. Thanks!

Still, just double-checking we do the right thing here: it would be different if e.g. the API would be already implemented like this in the Linux kernel. Then documenting what’s there could be of value. However, my currently understanding is that this is not the case…?

> So I am removing sections 3.5, 4 and 6 from the document (as you suggested in the email from February).

Thanks okay. I would also be okay with having 4.2. still in the doc if people feel such an example would be helpful (with some minor tweaks to remove references to sockets or setsc()).

> I think it could be helpful to add an appendix that provide an example of an implementation in high-level. I reworded the text that was removed (section 3.5) to become a description of an example (rather than a definition of a solution) and placed it as an appendix.

Yes, I think this information is good and valuable to have in the draft. I would also be okay with moving the section as now in the appendix back in to the main body of the doc.

Thanks!

Mirja