Re: [DMM] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility-18: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Fri, 02 August 2019 07:23 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 09:23:05 +0200
Cc: "draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility@ietf.org>, Dapeng Liu <max.ldp@alibaba-inc.com>, Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>, "dmm-chairs@ietf.org" <dmm-chairs@ietf.org>, "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@gmail.com>, "Satoru Matsushima (satoru.matsushima@gmail.com)" <satoru.matsushima@gmail.com>
To: "Moses, Danny" <danny.moses@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [DMM] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility-18: (with COMMENT)

Hi Moses,

First this was only a comment from my side and not a discuss point. So it would be good if you can double-check the wording but there is probably not more to do.

However, let me give some more background on my point. There are also mobility solutions in the transport layer. QUIC can migrate to a new IP address without opening a new connection (so basically without changing the socket); MPTCP can use multiple IP addresses and as such also dynamically open and close TCP connections, however, for the application this looks like one connection/it’s one socket.

As you said below this is a mainly an interface question, however, I just wanted to make sure that you have in mind that mobility not always means to close a socket and open a new one.

Mirja