[DMM] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmm-pmipv6-dlif-06: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 19 March 2020 09:47 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dmm-pmipv6-dlif@ietf.org, dmm-chairs@ietf.org, dmm@ietf.org, Dapeng Liu <max.ldp@alibaba-inc.com>, max.ldp@alibaba-inc.com
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 02:47:10 -0700
Subject: [DMM] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmm-pmipv6-dlif-06: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dmm-pmipv6-dlif-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmm-pmipv6-dlif/

COMMENT:

Thanks for addressing my discuss and adding section 3.6. I know that the text
there is inline with RFC6275 and therefore I'm clearing my discuss. However I
just notice that its says

" The node MAY continue to send these
           messages at this slower rate indefinitely."

I think allowing to send something indefinitely is always a bad idea. This is a
MAY but given there is no alternative provided, I guess it's not unlikely that
people will implement it this way. It's always better to have a defined
termination condition. This could be something like "SHOULD stop sending after
X <timeunit> and log an error" where X <timeunit> is a super high value in e.g.
days. This would implicitly also allow to send indefinitely because it's a
SHOULD but would make it less likely people implement that. I personal would
however even recommend a MUST.

In any case, as RFC6275 has exactly the same sentence, so I'm not blocking on
this, but maybe still worth reconsidering...

---------
Old comments: I fully understand why the authors decided to not make changes
but keeping these as for the record:

4) As section 3.6 talks mainly about implementation details, I suggest to move
this section into the appendix.

7) One overall editorial comment which might be too late to address: I would
have found it more easy to read if you would have first introduced the new
messages and then used the concrete message names in the description in section
3.