[Dmsp] Re: Chris

Chris Cross <xcross@us.ibm.com> Mon, 17 July 2006 12:38 UTC

To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
From: Chris Cross <xcross@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:38:06 -0400
Cc: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@guppylake.com>, dmsp@ietf.org
Subject: [Dmsp] Re: Chris

Hi Dave,
Thanks for coming to our BoF.

I agree whole heartedly with your assertion that we need to educate the
ietf but I disagree that changing the nomenclature is the way to go. If you
google "multimodal" the first four hits and 8 of the first 10 refer to
multimodal in the same way that we do.

"User Interface Streams" doesn't quite catch the idea. While there are
streams involved, they are at a lower level in the "multimodal stack",
generally in the VoIP implementation. Synchronization in multimodal
applications occur at the "dialog level", directly concerning the event
queues of User Agents. While multimodal synch has impact on the
implementation of VoIP streams, that is an implementation detail.

I notice you're subscribed to the dmsp list. Please continue the discussion
there. I certainly welcome your input.

thanks,
chris

             Dave Crocker
             <dcrocker@bbiw.ne
             t>                                                         To
                                       Chris Cross/West Palm
             07/13/2006 04:55          Beach/IBM@IBMUS, Jonathan Engelsma
             PM                        <Jonathan.Engelsma@motorola.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       Nathaniel Borenstein
                                       <nsb@guppylake.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Chris

So, I decided to play around with possible, alternative acronyms, if only
clarify my own lack of understanding about what DMSP does.

>From that perspective, what is inaccurate or inappropriate about:

   [Protocol for] Synchronizing  User Interface Streams (SUIS)

(possibly pronounced "swees")

d/
--

  Dave Crocker