[Dmsp] Fw: Request for Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) BOF in Dallas

Chris Cross <xcross@us.ibm.com> Tue, 21 February 2006 18:27 UTC

To: dmsp@ietf.org
From: Chris Cross <xcross@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:24:24 -0500
Subject: [Dmsp] Fw: Request for Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) BOF in Dallas

Hi Everyone,
This is the response from Alison on our request for a BoF. In a nutshell,
they would like us to do more socialization of DMSP and then request a BoF
in the summer. They do plan to have a slot in the RAI area meeting to
discuss DMSP.

I do plan to attend the Dallas IETF to socialize DMSP. I will hold one or
many bar BoFs depending on the level of interest ;-) In the meantime, we'll
continue our technical work to move the ball forward.

thanks,
chris

Chris Cross
Multimodal Browser Architect
_________________________
IBM Boca Raton
xcross@us.ibm.com
voice 561.862.2102  t/l 975.2102
mobile 561.317.0700
fax 501.641.6727

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/21/2006 01:01 PM
-----

             Allison Mankin
             <mankin@psg.com>
             02/19/2006 04:35          Chris Cross/West Palm
             PM                        Beach/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                        cc
                                       hardie@qualcomm.com,
                                       jonathan.engelsma@motorola.com,
                                       jon.peterson@neustar.biz, Nathaniel
                                       S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       Thomas Narten/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       mankin@psg.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Fw: Request for Distributed
                                       Multimodal Synchronization Protocol
                                       (DMSP) BOF in Dallas

[I seem to have missed responding to this mail when it came in, sorry]

Hi, Chris,

Ted aired your BOF request to the IESG and IAB and we had a little
bit of discussion.  We did draw the conclusion that we'd like you to
grow more of an IETF-based constituency before holding a BOF.
This sounds strange, because a BOF sounds like the time when one gets
the constituency, but as Thomas Narten has written in his
draft-narten-successful-bof-01.txt, the good BOF builds up a lot
of discussion beforehand.  Although talented people and interesting
work can get a good reception at an unprepared IETF meeting, we've
found that strong working groups grow best out of BOFs which have
prepared, already active participants.

So please do not interpret the delay of the BOF as a negative.
As I suggested when I set up the mailing list, get some email
out to the ietf, app-area, and other lists, inviting participation
and discussion of the draft.  Read Thomas's draft, actually, it describes
great next steps.  Go through these steps and work on participation.
Then present a BOF proposal again for the Summer IETF.

Starting these next steps is timely before Dallas.  In addition,
as I mentioned before, we're ready to set up a timeslot for
you to get some attention for the topic during the raiarea
meeting in Dallas.

Best regards,

Allison