RE: [Dmsp] Comments on draft-engelsma-dmsp-01.txt

"Brian Marquette" <BMarquette@sandcherry.com> Tue, 21 March 2006 20:21 UTC

Subject: RE: [Dmsp] Comments on draft-engelsma-dmsp-01.txt
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:21:30 -0700
From: Brian Marquette <BMarquette@sandcherry.com>
To: "Burger, Eric" <EBurger@cantata.com>, dmsp@ietf.org

Eric

As for some of your points, the main use case here is a thin client
handset that is attempting to run a Voice and Visual application.
VoiceXML browser is in the network and is most likely using MRCP for
interactions with ASR and TTS.  The connection however from the thin
client to the Voice server is over packet data and typically 2 to 2.5G.
So latency will become a huge issue if we try to communicate with XML.

The result processing summary you wrote is basically correct. There are
a couple of use cases there, one for simple navigation and form filling,
and another for selecting from a n-best result. For example, you might
be using a map application and be looking for "Maple". The result should
allow the user to see the n-best list and visually select which address
he intended.

Brian