Re: [dna] #9: Detailed description of ND packets

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Wed, 05 November 2008 07:33 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:33:30 -0800
Cc: dna@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dna] #9: Detailed description of ND packets
Sender: dna-bounces@ietf.org

Comments below.

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 23:33:30 -0800
Cc: dna@ietf.org
Sender: dna-bounces@ietf.org
Comments below.

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:11:43 -0500
> From: suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com
> To: Bernard_Aboba@hotmail.com
> CC: dna@ietf.org
> Subject: Re: [dna] #9: Detailed description of ND packets
>
> Hi Bernard,
>
> Bernard Aboba wrote:
> > There is an issue in Section 4.5.1.  This section should also describe the
> > link layer addresses in the NS packet, to make clear that the NS is
> > sent to the previously cached link layer address of the router (NOT to
> > a multicast address).
>
> Will do.
>

> > "   The probing node SHOULD NOT include a Source link-layer address
> >    option if it has not performed duplicate address detection [RFC4862],
> >    for the source address of the NS, on the newly attached link."
> >
> > In DNAv4 (RFC 4436), the goal was not only to detect network attachment, but
> > also to establish bi-directional reachability.  By not including the Source
> > link-layer address, Simple DNA does not achieve this goal.
>
> I think this comes back to the issue on when DAD is required.
> I do understand your point, but I still see an issue with putting the SLLAO
> in the packet when we are not reasonably sut the address is not
> duplicated. From your mail, I see that you consider the chance of
> the address being taken by some other node as very low. I do not know
> how to quantify this in text. If I can quantify when DAD is not
> required, I think it will be very straight forward to address your
> concern. Do you have any suggestions?

A potential suggestion:

The probing node SHOULD include a Source link-layer address option
if either:

a. the probing node has performed duplicate address detection [RFC4862]
after attachment;

a. the probing node has previously performed duplicate address detection
[RFC4862] for the source address included within the NS,  and the
conditions described in Section X are satisfied, so that the results of
the prior DAD are still considered valid.