Re: [dna] next steps on draft-ietf-dna-simple

Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com> Thu, 10 December 2009 20:43 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:41:44 -0500
From: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: "dna@ietf.org" <dna@ietf.org>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-dna-simple@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dna-simple@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dna] next steps on draft-ietf-dna-simple

Hi Jari/Ted/Bernard,
  Sounds good. I will add the following text to the security
considerations section.

Unless SEND or other form of secure address configuration is used, the
DNA procedure does not in itself provide positive, secure authentication
of the router(s) on the network, or authentication of the network
itself, as e.g. would be provided by mutual authentication at the link
layer. Therefore when such assurance is not available, the host MUST NOT
make any security-sensitive decisions based on the DNA procedure alone.
In particular, it MUST NOT decide that it has moved from an untrusted to
a trusted network, and MUST NOT make any security decisions that depend
on the determination that such a transition has occurred.

Thanks
Suresh