[dna] Comments on draft-ietf-dna-simple-11

Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com> Thu, 10 December 2009 11:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 03:21:06 -0800
From: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>
To: dna@ietf.org, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
Subject: [dna] Comments on draft-ietf-dna-simple-11

Bernard's question about STALE made me carefully read the whole
document. A few comments and questions.

---

Section 2.2 says
When a host moves to a completely new link that
    is previously unknown, the performance of the Simple DNA protocol
    will be identical to that using standard neighbor discovery
    procedures [RFC4861].

I don't think this was the intent. The default timers in RFC 4861 means
that a host that implements that to the letter will retain the global
IPv6 addresses from the old link for 30 days, and retain the old set of
default routers 30 minutes.
AFAIK the intent is that a DNA host flush information related to the old
link when it determines that it has moved to a new link. (Alternatively,
flush information learned from a particular router when DNA detects that
that router is gone.)

In fact, section 4.8 specifies that the addresses in the SDAT must be
unconfigured. But we also need to specify what should be done to the
default router list, the prefix list, and to Neighbor Cache Entries for
link-local addresses (such a addresses might be duplicated between the
old and the new link). For the link-local NCEs we can either mark them
as STALE or just discarding them.

If we do that, then we don't need the STALE text in section 4.3; the
state of the NCEs can remain unchanged while the host sends the NS
and/or DHCP packets.

---

Section 4.1 defines the SDAT and says it contains
    o  Link-local IPv6 address of the router that advertised the prefix.
    o  Link-layer (MAC) address of the router that advertised the prefix.
That doesn't specify how things are supposed to work when there is more
than one router that advertises the same prefix; a common configuration
on LANs.

I think it should say "router or routers" above.

I wonder if it makes sense to add some more text in section 4.1 to
specify that when multiple routers advertise the same prefix a host
should independently remove those routers from the SDAT when they stop
advertising the prefix. That requires tracking in the SDAT the last time
the prefix was heard from each router that advertises it.

Related to this is the text in section 4.4 in how the SDAT is used.
I suggest that paragraph in 4.4 say something like this:
    For each of the addresses in the candidate set, the host looks up the
    SDAT to find out the link-local and MAC addresses of the router or
routers
    that advertised the prefix used to form the address.  If multiple
routers
    have advertised the same prefix the host needs to select one router per
    SDAT; it is RECOMMENDED that it select the router that most recently
    advertized the prefix. It then sends an
    unicast Neighbor Solicitations for each candidate SDAT. It is sent
to the
    selected router's link-local address.  The host SHOULD NOT send
    unicast Neighbor Solicitations to a test node corresponding to an
    IPv6 address that is no longer valid.
(BTW: I don't understand what a "test node" is hence I don't understand
the last sentence above that I copied from the draft, so I left it alone.)

---

We had talked about the SDAT retaining information from previously
visited links but the document is rather silent on the whole area of
SDAT management; when are things added and deleted from the SDAT? If a
host is allowed to retain the SDAT until the prefixes time out (or the
default router lifetime times out?) then we should say that somewhere in
the document.

---

Section 4.7 says
    before utilizing
    the configuration associated with the detected network (prefixes, MTU
    etc.).
That wording implies that the host had somehow stopped using the state
earlier, but there is no text in the documenting saying it should stop
using the state before the probing.

I think we can *describe* the same protocol behavior in two different ways:
1. The host stops using all information (prefixes, default routers,
NCEs) when it gets the link-up indication. As a result of gathering the
results it will reinstate (possibly a subset) of that information. If
the host remembers SDAT information from previous links it will
reinstate that information when it receives a NA or RA from that router
(matching source MAC and source IP address).
2. The host continues as normal while sending the probes. As it gathers
the results it might conclude that the information currently used is no
longer valid. If it hears from an old router it will reinstate
information from that router.

The above text in 4.7 seems to assume description #1 (but the "stop
using" part is missing from the document) but the text in section 4.8
about removing addresses assume #2. We should use a single way to
describe this in the document.

---

Section 4.8 has what is either a typo or a fundamental misunderstanding.
It says
    o  The host SHOULD select a default router as described in [RFC4861].

But RFC 4861 doesn't talk about selecting *a* default router; it
specifies that hosts maintain a default router list.

Thus I don't know what the above bullet is trying to convey.
Can it be removed?

---

Question on this text in 4.7:
    When the host receives an advertisement containing only prefixes
    which are disjoint from known advertised prefixes, the host MUST
    determine whether the solicited advertisement corresponds to any of
    the routers probed via NS.  If it does, then the host SHOULD conclude
    that the IPv6 addresses corresponding to that router are no longer
    valid.  Since any NS probes to that router will no longer provide
    useful information, further probing of that router SHOULD be aborted.
Thus the last sentence imply that the (now incorrect) information for
that router should be removed from the SDAT?

---

Question: How does a host tell that a RA is sent in response to a a
particular host's RS? Section 4.7 says
    When the host receives a Router Advertisement in reply to the Router
    Solicitation it sent, ...

The only possibility I can think of is when the RA is unicast. If that
is the case then it would make sense to add "unicast" to the above text.

---

    Erik