Re: [dns-privacy] New Version Notification for draft-zatda-dprive-xfr-using-dso-00.txt

Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@pletterpet.nl> Fri, 12 July 2019 13:46 UTC

To: dns-privacy@ietf.org
From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@pletterpet.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:46:42 +0200
Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] New Version Notification for draft-zatda-dprive-xfr-using-dso-00.txt

Hi Sara,

Thanks for this first version. I have read it and here are my thoughts.

1.
About use cases.  The draft mentions performance because it will reduce
the number of messages required to perform one transfer. Hopefully this
new protocol can also add performance improvements for the DNSSEC case
(reduce redundant information in the change such as RRSIG deletions,
basically ideas that are listed in my MIXFR draft [1]. Similar we could
incorporate the IXFR-ONLY idea [2] that will contribute to the improved
error handling use case.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mekking-mixfr/
[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kerr-ixfr-only/

2.
QUESTION: Is there a use case to allow XuD over TCP where
confidentiality is not an issue e.g when the zone contents are
already publicly available?

Section 3 lists several use cases other than confidentiality for DSO
based zone transfers, so I guess the answer to the question is yes :)

So why not allow DSO transfers over TCP too?

3.
QUESTION: Is there a use case where a client may want to signal that
the version of the zone it holds has been updated via another
mechanism and the zone transfer should restart from a different SOA
than that currently exchanged between client and server?

I think "signalling the version of the zone it holds" should be
supported. Not only because it may have been updated by another
mechanism, but also it can go out of sync. Consider the case where a
secondary is restored from a backup and has an older version of a zone
on disk.

Of course a client could do this by unsubscribing and resubscribing with
its current SERIAL, so maybe no special DSO type message is needed?

4.
>From the draft:

   DNS wildcarding is not supported.  SUBSCRIBE-XFR requests received
   for zones containing wildcards are considered an error (see below).

But I fail to find any text around wildcarding below.

But this does raise a question whether a SUBSCRIBE-XFR Request should
support multiple zones. I am thinking of a use case where a server has a
bulk of zones it serves, then it could end up with maintaining lots of
subscriptions.

5.
Alternatively if incremental zone transfer is not available, the
entire zone MAY be returned in a DSO-AXFR message.

QUESTION: Should we bother with a separate DSO-AXFR message or just
allow full zone transfer inside the DSO-IXFR message as with
[RFC1995] IXFR?  A separate message type makes is more explicit and
IXFR was constrained by having to respond to a IXFR request.

I don't see much value in two separate type of messages, except that it
is slightly easier to detect whether the transfer is an incremental or a
full one.  What does interest me is that a client can subscribe to
incremental zone transfers only, and may decide to subscribe to a
different master if an incremental zone transfer is not available (a
situation that should happen rarely though, when would an incremental
zone transfer be unavailable?).

6.
QUESTION: Do we need the equivalent of a RECONFIRM message from DNS
PUSH Notifications [I-D.ietf-dnssd-push]?

Yes, a client may want to reconfirm that the zone it serves is not
stale. The SOA REFRESH timer may expire without having received new
changes, and so a RECONFIRM message to ensure the zone is fresh seems
desirable.

Best regards,

Matthijs