[dns-privacy] Common Features for Encrypted Recursive to Authoritative DNS

Peter van Dijk <peter.van.dijk@powerdns.com> Sun, 02 May 2021 16:55 UTC

From: Peter van Dijk <peter.van.dijk@powerdns.com>
To: dns-privacy@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 18:54:55 +0200
Subject: [dns-privacy] Common Features for Encrypted Recursive to Authoritative DNS

Hello DPRIVE!

in the last two draft revisions of our protocol for unauthenticated
encryption from resolvers to authoritatives, we adopted the SVCB
discovery mechanism from draft-rescorla-dprive-adox-latest-00. This
means that the two documents overlap somewhat, and there would be
effort needed to keep the mechanisms in sync.

To avoid that problem, instead we present here a separate document that
contains the parts that the two protocols have in common. Our draft is
adopted; we understand the authors of the authenticated draft intend to
ask for adoption soon, as well. If the WG adopts this separate
document, we will not have to keep the discovery bits in sync between
the two, and we can hammer out the details of discovery once, in a
single place.

We imagine this would be much more efficient.

- Paul & Peter