[dnsdir] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones-08

David Blacka via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 27 December 2022 17:14 UTC

From: David Blacka via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: dnsdir@ietf.org
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:14:00 -0800
Subject: [dnsdir] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones-08

Reviewer: David Blacka
Review result: Ready with Nits

Reviewer: David Blacka
Review Result: Ready with Nits

Hi, I'm the designated DNS Directorate (dnsdir) reviewer for this document.
Overall, I think this draft is in pretty good shape.  I have a nit and a few
overall comments.

First, a small typo that could be fixed.  In section 7,

> As catalog zones are transmitted using DNS zone transfers, it is
   RECOMMENDED that catalog zone transfer are protected from unexpected
   modifications by way of authentication,

should be:

> As catalog zones are transmitted using DNS zone transfers, it is
   RECOMMENDED that catalog zone transfers are protected from unexpected
   modifications by way of authentication,

That is, "transfer" should be "transfers".

Second, some comments:

This draft is not quite definitive on whether or not Catalog Zones are directly
queryable.  Instead, it strongly discourages them from being queried, but
usually using non-normative language. (The exception: the security
considerations RECOMMEND limiting who can query the zone.)  I wonder if the
document would be better served with a more up-front statement on this issue?

An appendix showing a full example catalog zone would be a nice addition to the
document.  There are examples throughout the text demonstrating specific
concepts, however, so it isn't clear that such an appendix is strictly
necessary.

Catalog zones appear to be intentionally not fully interoperable between
completely un-coordinated instances.  Is this interpretation correct?  I think
my basic confusion arises from not seeing what can be done with catalog zones
*without* custom properties.