Re: How do we get the whole world to upgrade to DNSSEC capable resolvers?

Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net> Mon, 11 August 2008 20:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:03:27 -0400
To: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: How do we get the whole world to upgrade to DNSSEC capable resolvers?
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

At 09:18 PM 8/10/2008, Mark Andrews wrote:

>> OK - but MX-records point to host names which point to A/AAAA records which
>> point to IP addresses...
>> If the bad guy is on the wire, he can intercept and replace your SMTP
>> traffic anyway.
>> DNSSEC or not.
>>
>> SRV-records also point to host names which...
>
>        DNS security is required for SMTP security to work.

Absurd claim.

>How
>        else fo you securely workout who you are supposed to be
>        communicating with.

Um.. maybe with SSL?   Check the offered certificate matches some criteria to relate it to the name and that it chains back to someplace you trust.

I'm sure there are all sorts of arguments you could make on how this isn't sufficient - but DNSSEC only at MOST gives me a validatable mapping between a domain name and the ultimate IP address - it doesn't protect against post-resolution attacks of various flavors, so I could argue DNSSEC isn't sufficient.

SSL/TLS has the nice properties that I can deploy it per server (e.g. I can get incremental benefit), that I can do off-tree validations, and that a hell of a lot of servers already implement it.  DNSSEC can't be deployed per server (requires the zone to be signed even if mostly opted out), can't do off-tree validations (DLV is a hack - I might split a hair and call it off-tree, but it really is more of a trust anchor registry than anything else), and few SMTP servers (any?) implement DNSSEC resolution/validation.