Re: [dnsext] DNSSEC, robustness, and several DS records

"Marc Lampo" <marc.lampo@eurid.eu> Thu, 12 May 2011 06:18 UTC

From: Marc Lampo <marc.lampo@eurid.eu>
To: dnsext@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:10:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [dnsext] DNSSEC, robustness, and several DS records

Isn't the SHA-1 DS there to accommodate for validating caching name
servers that do not understand the SHA-256 "type" ?

Sorry to go somewhat off-topic, but still related to strengths of
algorithms :
Similar "problems" with the DNSKEY algorithms : RSASHA1, NSEC3RSASHA1,
RSASHA256 and ..512
A validating caching name server that does not understand a stronger
algorithm
treats the data as "unsigned"
+ great design of DNSSEC, this backward compatibility
- but pushing towards stronger algorithms, makes them being ignored by
"older" software

Last time I looked, Microsoft DNS topped at RSASHA1 (5);
the root uses algorithm 8
--> Microsoft DNS, even configured to validate, cannot even start to
validate.

No, I don't want to start a war of which vendor to use or not to use,
but by pushing towards better security,
the security level can be *reduced* !
(if the push is "too soon")

Kind regards,