Re: [dnsext] Historical root keys: The Large Router Vendor Speaks

Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com> Sat, 29 January 2011 02:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 21:55:55 -0500
From: Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com>
To: John Bashinski <jbash@cisco.com>
Cc: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Historical root keys: The Large Router Vendor Speaks

Dear John,

Some definitions and background about trust and "liability" in the
context of root public keys (DNSSEC root KSK, open PKI root CA -- in the
original model --, and to a lesser extent a private CA like Cisco's for
software revisions).

An organization stands behind a root public key because it controls the
private key counterpart. The organization announces for which purposes
the key pair is issued, along with some cryptoperiod expectation.
Relying parties depend on the organization internal controls of the
private key. Some factors make the organization's responsibilities more
demanding: the value of surreptitious access to the private key, the
expected computing power increase in the hands of "the enemy," the wear
and tear of continuous internal controls, and, indirectly, the size of
the relying party population.

The cryptoperiod announcement says: after such a date, don't expect our
internal controls to be at par with the cumulative risk exposure. It
also says "a digital signature verification is meaningless after the end
of the cryptperiod." More precisely, it says "don't blame us if a bogus
digital signature floats around after the end of the cryptoperiod, we
would have told you that the key was expired."

What you are asking for is a long cryptoperiod, either because the
history record relied upon in 2035 uses a KSK expired in 2021, or
because a special-purpose signature key relied upon in 2035 has entered
IANA internal controls before 2014, the manufacturing date for Cisco boxes.

I am sure IANA does not wish to let "the world" to so rely on a long
expired KSK without having been served this little warning "no good
after KSK rollover which we will announce in advance." I write this from
discussions surrounding the KSK internal controls, a time during which I
was advocating a longer term commitment (with slightly different
procedures) from IANA. IANA did an excellent job at this project for
which there was no precedent, at least with an equivalent level of
transparency. Their stubbornness (?) in making this little warning is an
indication that their KSK operations are trustworthy *before* rollover.

For the long-term commitment from IANA for (the internal controls
required for) a special purpose signature key, I am less certain. But if
they do make this commitment, then WOW! "The world" would have what you
are looking for. Bootstrap from this super-WOW signature key whenever
you feel you need more confidence in your DNS resolution.
   - You say *only*if* the current local KSK configuration is outdated.
I would say it's up to any gear vendor, any security officer, or any sys
admin, in any circumstances.
   - You say it's no better than the KSK, while in fact it is: it works
across KSK rollovers. Suppose your unit goes back on-line in 2035 and
sees the same KSK as was current in 2014, because a bogus root is being
operated by a hacker in the network nearby. The super-WOW signature
verification will prevent the bogus root attack.

It's about the IANA embarrassment if something goes wrong. Semantically
it does not turn into "liability" but that is just because secure
electronic payments are not directly secured by DNSSEC validated RRsets
near the top of the DNS hierarchy.

I exposed the suggested course of action for Cisco in the first e-mail
to you (it was off-list). It is a simple selection from what you already
identified as operationally acceptable options.

I hope it clarifies the link between long term public key crypto
material and "trust" as the term applies to your problem statement
(which I find very good).

Hope it helps (I wish to abstain from further contributions to the IETF
list on this issue).

Regards,

--
- Thierry Moreau