Re: [dnsext] Progress on moving the mailing list

Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> Sun, 03 October 2010 05:10 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 22:02:11 -0700
From: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

On 9/30/2010 2:21 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> We will ask the operators of the namedroppers list to put an alias
> forwarding messaages to namedroppers instead to the dnsext list

+1 to the move
+1 to keeping "namedroppers" as _the_ name of the list. This is a bit of
historical cleverness that was one of the first things that impressed me
about the IETF.

About the aliases, I think that rather than a transparent proxy the
current namedroppers list should reply with a bounce message that says
"Your message didn't go through, send it to namedroppers@ietf.org
instead." Otherwise people will just keep using the old list, and not be
given a reason to change. Also, having mail on the list with multiple
different To: addresses, all valid, will generate needless confusion.

I agree with the argument that having a dnsext@ietf.org alias is
desirable, but I'm ambivalent about how it should be configured. IFF it
can be set up in such a way that we don't get mail on the list with "To:
dnsext@ietf.org" then fine, alias away. Otherwise my preference would be
the same kind of bounce message as above.

hth,

Doug (too bad it was all downhill from there ...)

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.