RE: How do we get the whole world to upgrade to DNSSEC capable resolvers?

Jesper G. Høy <jesper@jhsoft.com> Tue, 29 July 2008 14:30 UTC

From: "Jesper G. Høy" <jesper@jhsoft.com>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: How do we get the whole world to upgrade to DNSSEC capable resolvers?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:18:09 +0200
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

I second Bert's view on DNSSEC, and it is for much the same reasons that we
do not have DNSSEC in Simple DNS Plus either.

There may be other good reasons to push DNSSEC, but it really is overkill
for the Kaminsky bug IMHO.

The core problem with the Kaminsky bug, and other cache poisoning scenarios,
is the short 16 bit transaction ID.
So why not simply expand this ID to a secure length?
And not just ~16 bits (random ports) or 2+ bits (x020) - but really secure
length like 128 bits.

This seems a lot easier than getting DNSSEC in place, signing the root,
getting EVERYBODY to sign their zones, repeat for rollover, etc., etc.

Some will probably argue that this doesn't help against on-the-wire-attacks.
But if the bad buy is one-the-wire, then he can replace any data at will
anyway. DNSSEC is no help here.
Of course we already have SSL to solve that problem.

So why not keep DNS simple?

Am I oversimplifying matters?

Sincerely,
Jesper