Re: [dnsext] BOF on variants for ICANN San Francisco

Kim Davies <kim.davies@icann.org> Sun, 13 March 2011 01:20 UTC

From: Kim Davies <kim.davies@icann.org>
To: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:22:12 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Dennis Jennings <Dennis.Jennings@knous.ie>, "dnsext@ietf.org" <dnsext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] BOF on variants for ICANN San Francisco

Hi Doug,

On 12/03/2011, at 2:48 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

I'm looking at the remote participation schedule
(http://svsf40.icann.org/svsf40/remote-schedule) and I'm not seeing this
meeting on it. Hopefully that will change, and if it does can you let us
know? :)  I think that there would be a tremendous benefit from having
an open door into how the ICANN community looks at this problem.

This particular meeting was just designed to be an informal meeting for anyone with an interest that is present. It was conceived after the agenda-setting cut-off, and does not have logistics support for remote participation. Please consider this meeting only slightly more formal than everyone coalescing in the bar, as another opportunity to make use of folks with a common interest who happen to be in the same place at the same time.

The official ICANN session on variants is on Wednesday and is on the agenda, and as far as I know will be available remotely. I'd encourage participation in that.

Along with this request for remote participation, we've also received suggestions that there be a formal agenda, and this meeting be announced more widely and gather broad participation from other groups. To quote a colleague, "I don't think we should fall over ourselves at short notice to try and make this into a general meeting - we'll fail and mess up!"

If there is a need for a better organised meeting on the same topic then I am sure that is something that can be arranged at a later date. And of course there is the upcoming session in Prague.

cheers,

kim